Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bottle Strike

Tonight was hard... Lauren's been refusing bottles lately, and we've been using the gentle approach - offering tiny bottles before or after a feeding, and she always cries like we're feeding her poison. She absolutely has to be willing to take a bottle before we send her to daycare. Plus, in a week, we're heading on yet another 8 hour road trip, and it's soooo much easier to pump and feed while we're on the road.

This morning, I woke up with a really sore nipple, from too much nursing to sleep... It was the perfect opportunity to try and get her to take a bottle. For 3 hours, we distracted her and kept her entertained while she got hungry enough to finally break down and take the bottle. Zampano played the guitar, I walked circles around the apartment while holding the bottle in her mouth... She didn't cry, but she would just chew on the nipple, without sucking.

I was just about to break down and nurse her when she finally took the milk... one tiny bottle, and then a full big one... So I guess it's bottles from now on, at least most of the time. It's a shame, because nursing is so much easier for me, and I really enjoy it. There's nothing to wash, nothing to heat up...

In other news, I've been feeling really down lately, and I think I may have Seasonal Affective Disorder. Looking back at my patterns of depression, it always seems to get worse in the winter, and definitely got worse once we moved up north. I may consider buying one of those lights... one of my professors swears by it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my son had the same issue. i would let him latch on me and nurse for a minute then have the bottle ready to do a quick switch-a-roo. id stick the bottle right by his mouth so he was still in the motion, so to speak. it took a little bit of time, but it he eventually took the bottle. I now have an 8mth old daughter who loves exclusively nursing, no bottles at all! Its so much easier, she now is going straight to sippy cups!

Hang in there and good luck!

Anonymous said...

have you thought maybe your feeling down could possibly be postpartum depression. I suffered a mild PPD after both of my children. With my first, I had no clue about it or why I was feeling down. If I were you, I would definitely go see a doctor soon. If mama's not happy, nobody's happy! Take care and hope you feel better soon!